I took the course for the X. Actually I was interested in taking a course that would incorporate the art, culture, music from my Mexican roots. Although I had little knowledge of the songs and references that Tony described as the "real Mexico", it fascinated me to learn about everything that was not exactly part of what I experienced through my family. The class allowed me to explore a different side of who I am through art and singing.
It was refreshing to create something other than architecture, something that didn't have to be dissected into a million facets. I could explore my intuitive creativity and practice my singing. I started out by sticking to something I knew, collages made of magazine and colored paper. It was so much fun, I loved making them and seeing people's reaction to them. after a while I wanted to push myself to create art using different mediums and techniques relating to the music and feeling it gave me. I found myself asking deeper questions about myself and my identity as a Chicano student at Cal.
I want to thank Tony for making this class such an open forum for discussion on history, tradition, and issues regarding Mexico. Tony made this class more than a class, but a place where we could all express ourselves through music and the self-discovery process of making art.
It was refreshing to create something other than architecture, something that didn't have to be dissected into a million facets. I could explore my intuitive creativity and practice my singing. I started out by sticking to something I knew, collages made of magazine and colored paper. It was so much fun, I loved making them and seeing people's reaction to them. after a while I wanted to push myself to create art using different mediums and techniques relating to the music and feeling it gave me. I found myself asking deeper questions about myself and my identity as a Chicano student at Cal.
I want to thank Tony for making this class such an open forum for discussion on history, tradition, and issues regarding Mexico. Tony made this class more than a class, but a place where we could all express ourselves through music and the self-discovery process of making art.
Comments
Post a Comment